U.S. Domestic Transfer Students

Transferring to Illinois Wesleyan University


Transfer applicants should have a minimum GPA of 2.5/4.0 from their current academic institution, although it is recommended that students carry a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to be competitive for admission.

A minimum number of credits are not required in order to transfer. However, no more than 50% of a major or minor may be taken elsewhere. All degree candidates must complete a minimum of 2 years and 16 courses in residence.

All students are expected to live in University housing for at least six semesters. Semesters spent living in residence halls, fraternity or sorority chapter houses, or off-campus study programs will accrue towards the six-semester expectation. Students who have accrued six semesters of housing history are eligible to apply to live off-campus. For students who transfer to IWU, the campus housing expectation will be adjusted on a case-by-case basis using academic standing and records of housing history at previous institutions to assist in determining an appropriate and proportionate housing expectation.

Transfer students are accepted for the fall or spring semesters only. A formal campus visit is highly recommended to speak with an admission counselor and to assist the admissions committee with its decision.

To apply, complete either our free U.S. domestic student application or Common Application. It is also necessary to submit transcripts from all colleges previously attended, as well as a final high school transcript with ACT or SAT scores.

A completed Teacher Evaluation Form or letter of recommendation is required and can be submitted by either a high school or college faculty member. 

Students who applied for admission to IWU in previous years must complete a new application when considering a transfer, although personal essays, recommendation letters and ACT or SAT scores can be moved from the old application to the new one. These students must also submit their final high school transcript, college transcripts and confirm their intended major and starting term.

Transfer students are eligible to receive both merit-based scholarships and need-based financial aid. Required financial aid applications and forms are evaluated after an admission decision has been made.

The recommended application deadline for fall transfer admission is August 1, and November 15 for spring transfer admission. If you have specific questions regarding your possible transfer, or would like to arrange a campus visit, please call our Admissions Office at 1-800-332-2498.

Students who previously attended Illinois Wesleyan and want to transfer back to the University from another institution should contact the Registrar's Office (309-556-3161) rather than the Admissions Office about re-entering.

Transfer Articulation Guides are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all coursework eligible for transfer to IWU, nor a comprehensive list of policies that govern the transfer of coursework.  Information regarding graduation requirements, general education, majors and minors can be found in the Illinois Wesleyan University Catalog at  Specific questions may be directed to the IWU Registrar’s Office at

 Current IWU Students

For current students looking to take courses outside of IWU, please complete the Transfer of Credit Form and obtain appropriate signatures.  Return the form to the Registrar's Office for final approval before registering for the course.


Specific questions may be directed to the IWU Registrar’s Office at